Love plants but don’t necessarily want to devote your career to them? This minor is for you! Provides broad yet meaningfully deep exposure to many aspects of plant science. Only one required course, and lots of flexibility.
Advisor: Walter De Jong
Eligibility: Plant Sciences majors are not eligible.
How to Apply
- Submit a copy of the application form and contact minor advisor Walter De Jong to discuss your interests in plant sciences and decide which courses you will take to satisfy the minor.
- Complete the courses required for the plant sciences minor.
- In your second-to-last semester, prior to pre-enrollment, meet with the minor advisor to determine if you have completed all requirements or if you need to take one or more classes your last semester.
- After this meeting, email the Minor Coordinator, Leah Cook, with a copy to the minor advisor, listing any courses you need to complete in your final semester.
A final grade audit will be completed a few weeks after graduation, and the minor will be added to your academic record at that time.
- At least 15 credits in Plant Sciences coursework.
- PLBIO 2410, Introductory Plant Biodiversity and Evolution (fall, 3 credits)
Must take at least one of the following courses:
- PLHRT 1115: The Nature of Plants (spring, 3 credits)
- PLBIO 2440: Evolutionary Plant Biology (spring, 3 credits)
- PLBIO 2480: Vascular Plant Systematics (spring, 4 credits)
- PLBRG 2250: Plant Genetics (spring, 4 credits)
- PLBIO 3420: Plant Physiology (spring, 3 credits)
- PLSCI 4460: Plant Behavior and Biotic Interactions, Lecture (spring, 3 credits)
- PLSCS 2600: Soil Science (fall, 3 credits)
Any 2-3 instructor-led courses (minimum 9 credits) with the PL-prefix at the 2000 level or greater, except for PLBIO 2400, PLBIO 2490, PLSCS 2940, PLHRT 2010 and PLHRT 3250.
Prof. Walter De Jong
309 Bradfield hall
135C Plant Science Bldg.